FLINKER
We would like to invite you to join our latest forum at:

address: http://www.farari.org

So hurry up and join us in our

premium site

The Oxford Handbook of Free Will (Oxford Handbooks in Philosophy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by azmy2000 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 am

By Robert Kane

* Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
* Number Of Pages: 656
* Publication Date: 2001-12-27
* ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0195133366
* ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780195133363
* Binding: Hardcover

Product Description:
This comprehensive reference provides an exhaustive guide to current scholarship on the perennial problem of Free Will--perhaps the most hotly and voluminously debated of all philosophical problems. While reference is made throughout to the contributions of major thinkers of the past, the emphasis is on recent research. The essays, most of which are previously unpublished, combine the work of established scholars with younger thinkers who are beginning to make significantcontributions. Taken as a whole, the Handbook provides an engaging and accessible roadmap to the state of the art thinking on this enduring topic.

Summary: Oxford and Kane have done it again!
Rating: 5
So far forth, the editors of the Oxford Handbook series have managed to put together products which both the neophyte and the fully-informed scholar will find beneficial. Robert Kane has certainly done his part to keep up the trend.

All of the essays in this volume are written by philosophers who have made significant individual contributions to the contemporary discussion about human freedom. Most of the authors have also produced influential works in related fields (philosophy of mind, action theory and moral psychology), and many of them are thoroughly conversant with the relevant empirical research in physics and neuroscience. Indeed, parts II and VIII of the book are dedicated, respectively, to the interplay between the problems of free will and quantum physics/chaos theory on the one hand, and recent work in neuroscience on the other. The result is a compilation ofessays written with the sort of texture and philosophical sensitivity that repays careful (re-)reading, and brimming with suggestive ideas that could well move the debate into some relatively unexplored terrain. (We should expect nothing less from a volume edited byKane, who has himself long advocated the importance of approaching the ancient problem of free will from novel directions.) What's more, the collection includes essays from several philosophers whose own books on free will are, though quite important and valuable, somewhat cost prohibitive. (Anyone living on a graduate student's salary who's tried to pick up a copy of Pereboom's or Clarke's or Double's or Strawson's books will know what I mean.) So the expense of the present volume is, when seen in that light, thoroughly justifiable. In fact it's a steal! Or so I've tried to convince my wife.

Finally, with his characteristic combination of clarity and rigor, Kane provides a lengthy introduction to the book that will help both the professional philosopher and the new-comer find their bearings in this complex debate with as little intellectual turmoil as can reasonably be hoped for. The book is a good one, highly recommended.
hidehide

Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=136286923052771
azmy2000
Admin
Admin

Specialty : emergency medicine

Back to top Go down

Re: The Oxford Handbook of Free Will (Oxford Handbooks in Philosophy)

Post by thaker on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:12 am

thanks
thaker
NEW
NEW

Back to top Go down

Post by azmy2000 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:57 pm

welcome

Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=136286923052771
azmy2000
Admin
Admin

Specialty : emergency medicine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top